Tuesday, August 12, 2008

No place like home

As you may have noticed, things have been pretty quiet around here lately. Natalie, the kids, and I just returned from a week of vacation with my in-laws in Central California. We had a wonderful time with them, and I have some special memories I plan to share later on the blog. But no matter how good a vacation is, there's just no place like home.

As we pulled into the driveway last night, I think all of us were excited to be home. Even little Heidi was grinning from ear-to-ear when I showed her the nursery and laid her down on the living room floor to play.

The joy of a comfortable home, a familiar bed, and a regular routine reminded me last night that all those who know Christ are awaiting a future day when we will arrive "home" once and for all. In this life, Christians are permanent travelers; Peter calls us "aliens and strangers" (1 Pet. 2:11). But Jesus has gone to prepare a place for us (Jn. 14:3), and it is actually better to leave this body and be at home with the Lord (2 Cor. 5:8).

When Jesus calls us home to be with Him in heaven, we will experience the most joyful and satisfying homecoming ever.

No comments: