Tuesday, May 6, 2008

It's time to read

A few weeks ago, I announced I would be blogging through David Wells' new book The Courage to Be Protestant and invited you to go on this journey with me.

I know that several people from our church are planning to read the book, and I ordered some copies from Amazon. They shipped last week and should arrive any day. So, I think we are finally ready to begin. Anyone else reading this blog is welcome to participate in our online "book club" as well. The book is divided into seven chapters, and we will read one chapter per week.

For next Wednesday (May 14), please read the Preface and Chapter One: "The Lay of the Evangelical Land." I will post a blog that day giving a short summary and a few of my thoughts on the chapter. Then, you will be encouraged to share in the comments section a favorite quote or something that struck you.

Here are a couple endorsements of the book to whet your appetite:

"This book has profound and far reaching implications for the church. It helps us understand the roots and differences of the seeker-sensitive, the emergent and the Reformed branches of 'evangelicalism' ... and then points to the biblical Christ and His grace as the only road to recovery of the gospel." - www.monergism.com


"Every page is important and every chapter is packed with fascinating content. Rare is the page in my copy of the book that is not stained with substantial amounts of highlighter." - Tim Challies

No comments: