Friday, October 26, 2007

Roller coaster ride

What a week it has been. My two-year old son was scheduled to have open heart surgery last Tuesday at Loma Linda. On Monday, we went down and did all the pre-op paperwork and exams. When we arrived for surgery Tuesday morning, we were told that the doctor was doing an emergency surgery on another heart patient (their aorta burst!). We waited for a couple hours in the surgery staging area, not sure what was going to happen, and were finally told that we would have to reschedule. Dylan's surgery date was postponed until today.

However, on Wednesday night, Dylan got sick and threw up three different times. It seems he probably picked a virus in one of the waiting rooms earlier this week. So unfortunately, we have to reschedule the open heart surgery again. We just need to monitor Dylan for a while and make sure he is completely healthy and fully hydrated before he goes in for this procedure.

Because the surgery was postponed, I took my mom back to the airport early this morning, and she flew back to Colorado. There are many, many other details for us to work out as well. We are perplexed by all of this, but God has given us a real peace. "But as for me, I trust in You, O LORD, I say, 'You are My God.' My times are in Your hand." (Psalm 31:14-15a). There is no place I would rather have "my times" than in God's hand. How thankful we are that all of our times and events are safely in His sovereign hands. God truly is the "Father of mercies and God of all comfort" (2 Cor. 1:3).

No comments: